2020 was a difficult year for many. As the New Year sails in, it is time to think about your resolutions for the coming year.
In addition to your usual goals of career success, weight loss, fitness or socialization, think about what you would like to experience with your boat or sailing achievements in 2021.
For the boaters out there, your first priority should be to secure proper boat insurance to protect you through your endeavours. The start of a new year is the perfect time to give yourself a little refresher on your insurance, in order to ensure everything is up-to-date. Once that’s done, then you can consider ways to engage with your hobby! Here are some practical, achievable resolutions for you and your boat this New Year.
- Plan your time that you are going to spend on your boat. Boat owners long to spend more time on their boat than life allows. Schedule time in your busy calendar in advance for time on your boat. On those days where you have no plans in place, book the time out for your boat time. Talk to your local club about events that they may have planned for an even better likelihood that you get out on the water.
- Undertake a maintenance check on your boat. Your boat needs to be fit and ready for all your adventures, so it is in your best interest that you stay on top of the work needed. Therefore, when you are out sailing you have a maintenance free day.
- Plan to visit a new destination. We all have that place we have wanted to sail to; this could be a new local spot that you have always meant to visit, or adventures further afield – the Jubilee Sailing Trust have many voyages on board their Tall Ships to the dream locations you have always wanted to visit.
- Learn a new skill. Local clubs are a great way to develop your skills and meet likeminded people at the same time. Speaking with other sailors will enhance your level of boating knowledge and give you a sense of being part of a group.
- Organise a beach clean in your local area, or join an organised one. A clean environment benefits everyone including your boat.
- Get your family involved. Take your loved ones out for a day trip on your boat and teach them a few new skills. You might be surprised they may love it as much as you do. Sailing is a fantastic family pastime.
- When was the last time you checked your safety protocols? Do you always wear your lifejacket and check the tides? Have you done your regular boat checks? Make sure that in 2021, safety becomes a priority. Put safety first.
- Try a new sport - if you have time outside of your sailing! Team activities like walking, football, netball, cycling clubs and walking clubs are great ways to meet new people and will have benefits for your health too.
From all of us at Topsail Insurance, we want to wish you a happy New Year. We hope that 2021 holds great things for you and your boat!