• Background


Preparing to cruise New Caledonia?

Monday, 15 April 2019

Preparing to cruise New Caledonia?

Beware, under new rules, you are now required to have compulsory travel insurance to visit New Caledonia. 

So there you are, wine in one hand, computer up front, planning your Pacific sailing adventures, sorting where you will be going, what you will be doing and what you will be needing, getting excited by the times ahead. 

However, did you know that there have been some changes to entering New Caledonia for non-European foreigners? 

Whether you are going it alone, as crew or as part of an organised rally, New Caledonia are requiring foreigners who are not part of the European Union to obtain travel visas along with travel insurance. 

- Stays of 3 months or less than 3 months

- Passport that is valid for at least 3 months after the return date

The supporting documents about:

- Your livelihood in New Caledonia (example: bank card for international use, cash, etc)

- Your guarantees of return (ticket for returning to your country of origin or residence)

- Your travel insurance certificate or health insurance (covering any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent health attention and/or emergency hospital treatment) Minimum coverage : 30 000€

- The purpose of your stay

To check if you need a short-stay visa, please consult the visa wizard on the official visa website for France.

Helpful links: List of websites for French consular posts abroad (fr)

Long stays of more than 3 months

- Passport that is valid for at least 3 months after the return date

- A valid long stay visa expressly mentioning that it is valid for New Caledonia, which must be requested from the consulate or the French Embassy in your place of residence before you arrive in New Caledonia

- Depending on the reason for and the duration of your stay, you must attach the necessary supporting documents (accommodation, resources, medical and hospital insurance, guarantee of return to your country of origin, supporting documents relating to the nature of your stay, etc)

- On your arrival, ask the French New Caledonian High Commission for a valid New Caledonia residence permit to be issued

Hmm… travel insurance you say? Well, good news. Topsail Insurance offers a comprehensive travel insurance product which covers you for all your sailing needs plus all your land based travel thereafter with no restrictions to how far off shore you go!

Furthermore, Topsail Insurance can also provide a further 5% discount to both travel insurances and boat insurances, should they be purchased in conjunction with each other. Fantastic!

For further information relating to these products, click here.

Client Login
Request Callback
Make a Payment