Do you follow us on social media? If so, you will have seen our #Topsail25Facts campaign!
Topsail is 25 this year so we’ve been gathering all the best highlights and facts about the last 25 years of Topsail.
Check out the full list below and follow us online to see some more photos of some of these great memories!
1. Director Cathy has been a cruiser for many years, and sailed through South East Asia on yacht Catcha Star for four years until 2014! Catcha Star is shown here, anchored in Langkawi. A proper long-term cruiser, with the washing hanging out and extra awnings!
2. Robert Stevens, Topsail Insurance Pty Ltd CEO, previously worked in Lloyd’s of London.
3. The Topsail team previously went sailing with the Ocean Youth Trust South on board their Tall Ship Prolific!
4. Topsail insure all types of craft - from a Superyacht to a Sailing Dinghy, to a narrowboat. We’re happy to take a look at anything and see if we can help.
5. Topsail made their first acquisition last year, purchasing Y Yacht Insurance. We are loving having the Y Yacht team and customers in the fold!
6. Meaghan’s lockdown project was a rundown Victorian flat which she and her husband have done up
7. We insure over £260,000,000 worth of boats!
8. Our specialist Yacht Travel and Tall Ships Travel Insurance can offer insurance for long-term trips, including voyages such as the World ARC! We love hearing all the interesting stories our customers have to tell.
9. 6 of our staff joined us via an apprenticeship scheme, 5 of whom are still with the company!
10. Team member Lindsay also works as cabin crew and absolutely loves it! Here is just a few pictures of some trips she’s taken – Lindsay also took part in a test flight for what was at the time the brand new Airbus A340-600. Some may know this is the world's second longest passenger aircraft!
11. Topsail Insurance Ltd. was originally called GH Insurance Services Ltd, which was originally a general commercial broker! Robert Stevens’ parents-in-law set up GH Insurance Services Ltd. from their loft in their house. Rob was the previous MD of Topsail, and is now CEO of Topsail Insurance Pty Ltd.
12. Ric and Nigel, Topsail Directors, started their careers at St Margaret’s Insurance.
13. GH Insurance Services Ltd. moved in to the marine insurance sector when previous owner Peter Hopkinson took part in the 20 month Blue Water Rally, leading to the company setting up a bespoke 20 month insurance policy scheme for the participants.
14. Starting by landing at the most dangerous airport in the world, Karen conquered her fear of heights by trekking over really, really high, wobbly suspension bridges up to Everest Base Camp in 2015!
15. Mum and daughter both work for Topsail, with Charlotte Fenn working in Australia and mum Samantha working in our UK office.
16. Our Operations Manager Laura appeared on TV game show Winning Combination in 2020! Laura's team was successful in answering all questions correctly and shared their winnings of £1,650.00.
17. Two of our staff now hold professional insurance qualifications with the Chartered Insurance Institute and many of our other team members are well on their way to achieving the same!
18. Sam has abseiled out of our local attraction the i360 from 450feet – not once but twice!
19. Our current google review score is 4.7 out of 5, based on 173 reviews
20. Daniel Groves, who previously worked in our UK office, emigrated to Australia in 2016 and now heads up Topsail PTY Ltd’s Queensland office!
21. Charlotte Fenn then followed Daniel and emigrated to Australia in 2019!
22. Laura & Mollie once walked on Glass and Coals for the Blind Veterans charity, raising £286.00!
23. Due to the pandemic and remote working, there are a few members of the team who are still yet to ever meet each other in person – we are hoping to rectify that this year!
24. Meaghan backpacked around Nepal in 2017, and even kayaked in crocodile infested waters! She’s braver than the rest of us…
25. At Topsail we have well over 100 years of combined experience in the industry!